Thursday, September 26, 2019

Y N0t #13-More Site Plus the Beginning of Situation

Today in class we continued talking about site by going into a little more detail on the subject.  In Mr. Schick's blog he posted something on site, so I thought I'd highlight a couple things: Important site characteristics include climate, water sources, topography, soil, vegetation, latitude, and elevation.  Site factors have always been important in selecting locations for settlements, although some people have disagreed on the attributes of a good site, depending on cultural values.  Humans have the ability to modify the characteristics of the site.
Mr. Schick also had a thing on situation, which is the location of a place relative to other places.  As I mentioned in blog #12, Chicago became one of the biggest cities in the country because of its location: on a lake that was connected to the ocean by a river.  This basically made Chicago a trading port for the rest of the Midwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Y N0t 21 #0-The Final Act

So this is it.  Huh.  As much as I used to hate having to do blogs (since I would always forget to do them), I'm going to miss this thin...